Thursday, January 20, 2011

Seattle GT Final List - Looking for Input

So I've transitioned a bit with my list. The core is still largely the same - I mean, it IS a Logan-wing army, so we have Logan and Wolf Guard, lol.

I am dropping my Wolf Scouts and putting the Lone Wolf back. I know this limits my tactical options a bit, but it also increases the impact and effectiveness of my Lone Wolf Linemen. There is just something about having 3 dudes with Terminator Armor, Feel No Pain, Stormshields and Chainfists running towards your lines every turn hell bent for leather that tends to throw people off their game.

I have also slightly buffed the sizes of my Thunderwolf Cav units. I find that where they really get into trouble is from getting torrented down by Autocannons and Multilasers. I suspect Poison weapons will give them a really hard time as well. So for 50 points doubling the number of wounds in the unit is a really good deal.

I dropped the miniature Long Fang squads, not because I think they are bad - they aren't. I just think that I value the additional wounds on the Thunderwolf Cav units a bit more. This shifts the entire list a bit away from a shooting list and towards a close combat list - but that's ok.

Also, I dropped the kitted out Wolf Guard for the Multimelta Long Fangs unit and added a Wolf Guard Battle Leader with Saga of the Hunter and a Power Sword. That's an additional 2 wound model to soak up regular fire, and he provides that unit with Stealth. They suck up so much firepower over the course of the game that being able to take, for example, a 3+ cover save against a Lascannon shot on Logan, is just really really nice. Depending upon the situation and whether there are Land Raiders heading my direction, I might even go to ground against a really bad barrage and grab a 2+ cover save. That's just nice.

So now I am left with one final question that needs answering. And that is the selection of powers on my Rune Priest.

Normally, I would be going with Living Lightning and Murderous Hurricane. In this case I am second guessing myself about those choices for a few reasons. Living Lightning is excellent but becomes less valuable after the Pack Leader dies for the Longfangs the Priest is attached to. The Packleader is definitely one of the first models to be taking saves after the multi-wound models (Logan, Priest and WGBL) and the Wolf Guard have been allocated one. As a result he tends not to live too long. Second, in this list I could not afford a Chooser of the Slain. Primarily that means that my Priest will not be getting BS 5 for his Living Lightning shots. Not a deal breaker, necessarily, but something to think about certainly.

Second, with the WGBL with Saga of the Hunter in the unit, Storm Caller actually becomes a viable option. The ability to move around in the open and with no intervening units/terrain and STILL get a 4+ cover save could prove very handy indeed. I SUSPECT that between the Lone Wolves and the Cavalry and whatever terrain is arround I will probably be able to get "normal" cover most of the time, but is it worth it to have that tool?

So the power combinations I have been considering are:

My normal setup: Living Lightning, Murderous Hurricane
My alternate setup: Murderous Hurricane, Storm Caller
My really alternate setup: Living Lighning, Storm Caller

I really hate to give up Murderous Hurricane - being able to force opponents to take 2 sets of difficult/dangerous terrain rolls if they want to assault me (especially bad if they don't have assault grenades and since I have counter-attack) can really take the wind out the sails of a lot of units.

On the other hand, Living Lightning does allow me to, if needed, split off my Rune Priest and have a shot at suppressing/destroying a far-away vehicle that needs shootin'.

But Storm Caller lets me move around in the open with a 4+ cover save!

Oh god! Decisions!

Anyways, for your reference, here is the list:

Logan Grimnar
Rune Priest, Terminator Armor (Powers Go HERE!)
Wolf Guard Battle Leader, Saga of the Hunter, Bolt Pistol, Power Weapon

Lone Wolf, Terminator Armor, Storm Shield, Chainfist
Lone Wolf, Terminator Armor, Storm Shield, Chainfist
Lone Wolf, Terminator Armor, Storm Shield, Chainfist

Wolf Guard x 5, Terminator x 1, Storm Bolter (on a Power Armor Guy) x 1, Cyclone Launcher
Wolf Guard x 5, Terminator x 1, Storm Bolter (on a Power Armor Guy) x 1, Cyclone Launcher
Wolf Guard x 5, Terminator x 1, Storm Bolter (on a Power Armor Guy) x 1, Cyclone Launcher
Wolf Guard x 5, Terminator x 1, Storm Bolter (on a Power Armor Guy) x 1, Cyclone Launcher
Wolf Guard x 5, Terminator x 1, Storm Bolter (on a Power Armor Guy) x 1, Cyclone Launcher

Thunderwolf Cavalry x 2, Wolf Claw x 1, Storm Shield x 1 (on the same model).
Thunderwolf Cavalry x 2, Wolf Claw x 1, Storm Shield x 1 (on the same model).
Thunderwolf Cavalry x 2, Wolf Claw x 1, Storm Shield x 1 (on the same model).

Longfangs x 4, Multimelta x 4, Pack Leader

So Logan, the Rune Priest, the WGBL and a regular Wolf Guard all attach to the Multimelta Longfangs. The push "up the gut" with the Lone Wolves, and the Thunderwolves provide counter-assault as necessary.

So, what power combo should I go with? General thoughts? Opponents I should be worried about?