Friday, February 4, 2011

Nichley Talks Tau: Part I

Here you go, for your reading pleasure:

Purg,

In response to our comments on Tau I guess I will submit my Adventures with them and you may post if you feel like it is a healthy addition to your Blog. See below: (Let me know if you want these in a word doc format in the future)

I have recently returned to Warhammer 40k after a 2-3 year hiatus (Got Married, Got a House, Got some dogs, and then got a new Job, life its fun that way). I decided to browse the blog/forum scene after my first game back in the 5th edition, last time I played it was 4th, and had my teeth kicked in with my “fluffy” Space Marine list. I was looking for information on Tactics and analysis of units and see where 5th edition had taken my hobby. I toiled in forums and blogs until I stumbled upon YTTH. I read the mission statement and some other items and found what I was looking for, answers.

Fast Forward to 2010 (Spare you the mundane details).


As we all know there is a lot of non-favorable opinions on the interwebs about Tau, the same is at my LGS. So when I saw Stelek’s 2K Tau list and learned the general tactics I knew this would be something I could use. So I began the buying of units. Here is the List & Link to Stelek’s: http://yesthetruthhurts.com/2008/09/my-tau-empire/

2000 Pts - Tau Empire Roster (Kroot Bubblewrap!)

1 Commander Shas'el
Hard-wired Target Lock; Missile Pod; Plasma Rifle; Multi-Tracker

3 Crisis Battlesuit
Missile Pod; Plasma Rifle; Multi-Tracker

3 Crisis Battlesuit
Missile Pod; Plasma Rifle; Multi-Tracker

3 Crisis Battlesuit
Missile Pod; Plasma Rifle; Multi-Tracker

10 Kroot Carnivore Squad
Add Kroot Hounds; Kroot Rifle (x10)
7 Kroot Hounds

10 Kroot Carnivore Squad
Add Kroot Hounds; Kroot Rifle (x10)
7 Kroot Hounds

6 Fire Warrior
Pulse Rifle (x6)

8 Pathfinder
Markerlight (x8); Pulse Carbine (x8)
1 Devilfish
Burst Cannon; Smart Missile System; Disruption Pod; Landing Gear; Marker Beacon; Multi-Tracker; Targeting Array

2 Piranha Light Skimmer
Fusion Blaster (x2); Gun Drones (x2); Disruption Pod (x1); Target Lock (x1); Targeting Array (x2)
2 Gun Drones
Twin Linked Pulse Carbines

2 Piranha Light Skimmer
Fusion Blaster (x2); Gun Drones (x2); Disruption Pod (x1); Target Lock (x1); Targeting Array (x2)
2 Gun Drones
Twin Linked Pulse Carbines

1 Hammerhead Gunship
Railgun; Smart Missile System; Disruption Pod; Landing Gear; Multi-Tracker; Targeting Array

1 Hammerhead Gunship
Railgun; Smart Missile System; Disruption Pod; Landing Gear; Multi-Tracker; Targeting Array

1 Broadside Battlesuit
Team Leader; Twin linked Railgun; Broadside Battlesuit; Smart Missile System; Hard-wired Drone Controller; Hard-wired Target Lock; Shield Drone; Advanced Stabilization System
1 Broadside Battlesuit
Twin linked Railgun; Smart Missile System; Advanced Stabilization System
2 Shield Drone: Shield Generators

To date I have all the models (Shas’el & Broadsides are from Forgeworld), all the wonderful color of Black Primer. Well the Kroot are Catachan Green (Base Color).

I have only played a few games since I only visit my LGS on Fridays and an occasionally Saturday. I have not lost a game yet, but I have yet to table anyone either. I have learned that with this army as many you live and die by deployment. Especially Tau, so I am eager to share experiences with different deployments and delaying tactics. My current struggle is dealing with Deep Striking via Drop Pod units that many of the SM players at my store use. It limits my turns to push sustained fire, so that will be a “red” button topic as I progress my skills with this list.

I hope you guys will enjoy my future posts as I explore my game meta, paint this army, and aim for being a more complete competitor in my local area. Also one day take a shot on going to Nova!

Picture and Batreps to follow!