Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Reader Email: Help With Nichley's Loganwing

Email In:

Purgatus,
Having fun watching the Seattle GT coverage hope you are having a blast. As I noted earlier I was gonna send you a version I like of the Loganwing. Like to hear your thoughts!
Here we go:
2000pt Loganwing
Logan Grimnar: Gear as descibed in the Dex
Rune Priest: BP, Runic Weapon, Master of Runes (Powers to be decided)
WGBL: Wolf Claw, Stormshield, TWC, MB, and Saga Warrior Born
Lone Wolf: Terminator Armor, Chainfist, and Storm Shield
Lone Wolf: Terminator Armor, Chainfist, and Storm Shield
Lone Wolf: Terminator Armor, Chainfist, and Storm Shield
Wolf Guard: 3x BP/CCW, 1x Combi-Melta, 1x Terminator w/CML, SS, PF
Wolf Guard: 3x BP/CCW, 1x Combi-Melta, 1x Terminator w/CML, SS, PF
Wolf Guard: 3x BP/CCW, 1x Combi-Melta, 1x Terminator w/CML, SS, PF
Wolf Guard: 3x BP/CCW, 1x Combi-Melta, 1x Terminator w/CML, SS, PF
Thunder Wolf Calvary: 1x Power Fist/Storm Shield
Thunder Wolf Calvary: 1x Power Fist/Storm Shield
Land Speeder Tornado: Multi-Melta/Heavy Flamer
Long Fangs: 4x Missile Launchers
Long Fangs: 4x Missile Launchers
Point Total: 1995
I plan on DS the Speeder, not sure it will do anything...
So may other thought is either drop a Long Fang squad and the speeder which will free up more than enough for an additional WG squad and another 40 points that I can tweak the Lone lone fang unit or add Wolves to the WGBL.
So My take on this is the ability to hold the Mid-field, and cover the flanks with Long Fangs supported by Grimnar and the WGBL there to counter and DS surprises. The Rune Priest can hang out with the WG while the Lone Wolves soak up fire power. All while waiting on a single LS to drop in for a drive by.
Let me know if you can see anything tweakable. I wanna stay away from Loganbombs at this time, IF possible. Thanks for the support!
Hey Nichley, I'm sorry it took me so long to answer this. Things have been... crazy. I think it's fine, and you will likely tweak it a bit as you go. 
A few things to start with though - I'm not sure why the Rune Priest has Master of Runes. Just like the Epistolary upgrade on Nilla Librarians I don't know that it's worth it. Njal makes good use of two powers per turn because he has access to the entire list. I don't think your regular Rune Priest will be able to make good use of it.

On the same note, you mention that your single Land Speeder might not be sufficient. Well, if you drop Master of Runes and the Heavy Flamer on the Land Speeder you can make that a squad of two with Multimeltas to make it a bit more of a sure thing. Or you could use a drop pod Wolf Guard Squad with Combimeltas. Either way, it would be better than Master of Runes I think.