Thursday, April 7, 2011

Yeah, I'm Going to Be 'That Guy' Playing Counts As Grey Knights


 We all know of them. Some of us hate them.

I'm talking about those "(Space) Wolves in (Insert Random Codex Here)'s clothing." - the Counts As Commandos.

Some people absolutely despise these folks. I am definitely NOT amongst them, lol.

I think that counts as armies are awesome, frankly. My only criteria is that they are reasonable and understandable, but other than that, go nuts I say.

Still, I did struggle with this decision for a while, not wanting to appear to be a "bandwagoner." But fuck me if I don't find the new codex... inspiring.


I'm talking about Grey Knights, of course. I can't help it, the thought of running my Guardians of the Covenant army with Codex: Grey Knights has ignited my imagination for days. Who am I to resist the call to uber low model count goodness?

It's a terrible photo, but I bet you can guess who THIS guy's going to 'count as'... look at that shield and tell me this was not meant to be.

Now, this is not a major new project, I've got enough major projects in the queue. The army is essentially done and painted. It will not be a hyper competitive army, just a fun army that lets me use my pretty models in another way. I don't think it will be terrible, but you'll see it's probably not a GT army. That doesn't mean I won't win me some games though.

Here's the list I threw together. PLEASE no yelling about it being terrible (although tweak suggestions are always welcome, but you can see what basic models I'm going to be using). Like I said, it uses my existing painted models and will look stunning.

That's right, I said stunning. :D

Lord Draigo


Paladin x 3, Halberds, Brotherhood Banner
Paladin x 1
Paladin x 1
Strike Squad x 10, Psycannon x 2, Psybolt Ammo, Rhino
Strike Squad x 10, Psycannon x 2, Psybolt Ammo, Rhino

Interceptors x 10, Psycannon x 2, Psybolt Ammo


Dreadnought, TL Autocannon x 2, Psybolt Ammo
Dreadnought, TL Autocannon x 2, Psybolt Ammo
Land Raider Crusader, Multimelta, Psybolt Ammo

1975


So, 25 points of wiggle room. I have all these models. I need to make some modifications like build magnetized storm bolter/power sword arms for my robed Tacticals (Strike Squads) and wings for the Interceptors. I'm using Deathwing Assault Cannons for Psycannons - I don't think people will have an issue with that, and I have them all sitting in my bits box.

Not my model, but this is the Guardian's of the Covenant paint scheme that I used. You can see why people always thought I was playing Grey Knights anyways.

It's not a particularly optimized list. It's got a few cool tricks that I want to try out, like holding Paladins in deep strike reserve with -1 to rolls until late game and then bringing them in to Holocaust bomb things and possibly take objectives. Paladins aren't particularly hard to kill, but late in the game they might not be something the enemy can devote the attention to. Also, I find it amusing that you could have up to six Holocaust bombs at 55 points each in an army... something to explore perhaps.

They are like Drop Pods with Deathwind Launchers... but they can shoot when they come in. Sounds like it's good for a laugh.

Anyways, thoughts are welcome but again please remember this is mostly just a "shits and giggles" army using models that everyone tells me look like Grey Knights anyways... and I can't wait to put angel wings on my crimson robed Interceptors. 

I'll take some photos of these models at some point to give you a better idea what I'm talking about.