Friday, January 6, 2012

Grey Knights list... with a bit of flavor?

So, I just can't seem to get excited about the Grey Knights list I wrote. I played it once and lost badly, but HONESTLY that's not why. I could see even as I started the game that I simply had "done it wrong" and that I was going to struggle as a result.

But it's just so... blah.

Now, don't get me wrong, this isn't going to be some hate-fest on "spammy" armies. You can do what you like. What I'm saying is that, for me, I don't think I could get excited about painting up that army and putting it on the table.

Now, I started from scratch, and just kind of thought about getting something that would be simultaneously effective and would be visually interesting and interesting to play.

Some of the elements came back in, of course (in some cases due to the models that I have and want to use).

Coteaz

Venerable Dread (Multimelta, CCW)
Venerable Dread (Multimelta, CCW)
Purifiers x 10, Psycannon x 4, Hammers x 2

Warrior Acolytes x 5, Meltagun x 3, Razorback w/TL Assault Cannon, Psybolt
Warrior Acolytes x 5, Meltagun x 3, Razorback w/TL Assault Cannon, Psybolt
Warrior Acolytes x 5, Meltagun x 3, Razorback w/TL Assault Cannon, Psybolt
Warrior Acolytes x 5, Meltagun x 3, Razorback w/TL Assault Cannon, Psybolt
Warrior Acolytes x 7, Psykers x 5
Warrior Acolytes x 7, Psykers x 5

Dreadnought, TL Autocannon, Psybolt
Dreadnought, TL Autocannon, Psybolt
Purgation Squad x 10, Psycannon x 4

That puts me at 1958.

My hypocrisy shone through by putting some extra Psykers in to hit the AP 2 mark, lol. I have points to play around with, and I'm not sold on this build, but I think that this will be visually much more interesting to build and play.

I had an army written around a few Stormravens. But while I love the unit, a closer look and some deep thinking have revealed that I really, truly hate the model.

C&C welcome.