Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Reworking My Loganwing - Now With More Melta


The things you can do with the internets.

Anyways, I have a local tourney coming up later this month that I hope to attend. I will be bringing Wolves because they are my "finished" army.

Don't worry, progress on the Nids is both steady and in a relatively 'forwardish' direction.

But for now, Wolves.

So I've been giving this a lot of thought. I want to make best use of the model collection I have, but also take the army to the next level and make it a bit more balanced. Most of you probably read my  "Putting the Tools Back in the Toolbox" post and some of my followup posts as I explored ways to rebalance my Loganwing.


If you want to learn why, you can read about my third round battle here, where I took my only loss vs. the tourney winner (who ended up going undefeated).

I walked into that fight unprepared for that kind of army list, and I paid the price. Had I been packing a more balanced list I'm confident I could have beaten him.

I think I went too far away from the original list which I really liked and did well. The concepts I came up with werent "bad," per se, they just weren't my army.

The main weaknesses I identified in the original list were these:

-Lack of melta and mobile melta.
-Lack of "troop projection" (the ablity to put my troops into the enemy deployment zone).

Well, I think we can resolve some of these weaknesses while sticking to the heart of the list.

Let's see:

Logan Grimnar
Njal Stormcaller, Runic Terminator Armor

Wolf Scouts x 5, Meltagun
Lone Wolf, Terminator Armor, Storm Shield, Chainfist
Lone Wolf, Terminator Armor, Storm Shield, Chainfist

Thunderwolf Cavalry, Storm Shield, Wolf Claw
Thunderwolf Cavalry, Storm Shield, Wolf Claw
Thunderwolf Cavalry, Storm Shield, Wolf Claw

Wolf Guard x 5, Combimelta x 3, Terminator, Storm Shield, Chainfist, Drop Pod
Wolf Guard x 5, Combimelta x 1, Power Armor w/Wolf Claw and Meltabombs, Terminator x 1, Cyclone Launcher
Wolf Guard x 5, Terminator x 1, Cyclone Launcher
Wolf Guard x 5, Terminator x 1, Cyclone Launcher
Wolf Guard x 5, Terminator x 1, Cyclone Launcher

Longfangs x 4, Multimelta x 4, Pack Leader, Drop Pod

2000 Points

So you see that there is a power armored dude from the second squad with a combimelta and Power Fist that accompanies the Wolf Scouts.

I will also attach another random Power Armored Wolf Guard to the Longfang unit as an ablative wound.

This list sticks with the models that I already have painted (I don't want to put too much additional effort into painting this army at this point, I have other projects to work on) with the exception of three combi-melta Wolf Guard and the two Drop Pods.

The two Drop Pods need to be scratch built to go with the theme of the army, which is 13th Company Space Wolves.

13th Company do not have any vehicles, they are roaming around in the Eye of Terror seeking to exterminate the last of the Thousand Sons who escaped Prospero. Instead, they have very powerful psykers that have had their full psychic potential unlocked by being in close proximity to the Warp for the last 10,000 years or so.

These Rune Priests teleport the Space Wolves around from planet to planet using their incredible psyker abilities.

To represent this, I will be creating "runic circles:" rings of standing stones with a single stone pedastal in the center, upon which will be standing a Rune Priest in Power Armor. The stones will have runes inscribed upon their surface with some glow effects.

The idea is that the 13th Company have constructed these stone circles to focus the power of their Rune Priests for transportation uses.

In game terms, the idea is that they will simply be Drop Pods, and I will endeavor to ensure that they match the profiles of Drop Pods in terms of their size, footprint and Line of Sight blocking characteristics.

A functional yet fluffy addition to my band of furry maniacs.

Now I just need to figure out how to build the standing stones.

Thoughts and suggestions appreciated.