Monday, March 7, 2011

Email in: Hybrid Space Wolves

Hi Purgatus,


Long time reader of YTTH, 3++ and now best overall here - and I've finally got a couple questions about a list, and I'm curious to get some additional takes on it. Overall, it is a mech SW list, but I want to get away from the scouts+WG that i'm getting so bored with in my elites slot. Also trying to make a play off thunder bubble. Thunder-wolf-bubble maybe. I orginally wanted 3 lords, each with 2 pups, each attacked to one Twolf with either Fist/Claw depending on what the lord had - but I just cant find the points to make it work. Maybe you can? I also originally had the dreads as combat-support but, eh, I think riflemen are better, and still able to tie units up until the lords get there to dig them out. need 30 points freed up for that, though.


2000/2000 as it stands

Wolf Lord - Twolf, Saga of the Bear, TH, SS, 2 pups, Runic Armor - 280
Wolf Lord - Twolf, Saga of warrior born, Claw, SS, Necklace, 2 pups, Runic Armor - 280


DCCW, Autocannon Dreadnought -115
DCCW, Autocannon Dreadnought -115
DCCW, Autocannon Dreadnought -115


5 Grey Hunters, melta, Las/plas razorback - 155
5 Grey Hunters, melta, Las/plas razorback - 155
5 Grey Hunters, melta, Las/plas razorback - 155
5 Grey Hunters, melta, Las/plas razorback - 155


2 Thunderwolves, fist - 125
2 Thunderwolves, claw - 125


Long Fangs, 4ML - 115
Long Fangs, 4ML - 115


Your thoughts?


Thanks for your time,
Behemothh.

Hmmmm... well let's see. You are basically doing a shooty Space Wolves list with a counter-assault element in the form of your Lords. You are sliding the scale more towards the assault and away from the shooting a bit, as opposed to Stelek's GT army.

That's fine and I think it will work. However I don't think it makes sense to try and pair three Lords with three TWCs and Fenrisien Wolves as wargear. Why not stick the Lords with some Fenrisien Wolf packs for ablatives? Or take one Lord with Warrior Born, WC and SS with Fenrisiens, and then two units of TWC? I don't think the lords with Fists or Thunder Hammers are really worthwhile, in comparison with the regular TWC you just aren't getting a great value there. One Lord with Warrior Born, WC and a SS is a great buy. The second and third Lords don't seem as terrific.

My .02.

I'll think about it some more and maybe put some more thoughts in the comments but for now I've got to get to bed and I'm doing a disservice by sitting on this email for so long so here it goes.