Friday, September 28, 2012

Solomon Kane US Release

Hey guys, sorry I've been down and out for a while. I started up school again and I'm just drained.

I'm going to try my best to get some games in this weekend, and I am signed up for both a 1750 NOVA style RTT and a Flames of War tournament in the next month or so.

In the meanwhile, I strongly encourage you to check out the U.S. theatrical release of Solomon Kane, a film which was actually completed in 2009 but which is only now being released on this side of the Atlantic.

Solmon Kane, for those who don't know, is the origins of our "Witchhunter" archetype (which is one of my favorite archetypes). Puritan hat, cutlass, pistols, etc. He was written by Robert E. Howard, who also created the Conan character. If you've never had a chance to read Conan or Solomon Kane, I can't recommend them enough. They are the origins of so much of what inhabits our modern fantasy worlds, but there is something very primal and raw about Howard's writings, that I really dig.

While I was in Iraq, we received a BOX full of old Robert E. Howard books. An old World War II veteran, a former Marine, had passed away with his epic collection of Howard paperbacks. His widow, bless her heart, figured they could find a home with some Marines in Iraq. Well, I was the first to get my hands on them, and read every. single. one. I'm sure others have read them since then.

Here's a link to a list of US venues where Kane is playing. I've heard REALLY good things about this movie, it supposedly stays very true to the book. If you can check it out, you should, because we need to support good, serious fantasy and sci-fi film when it's made.