Monday, March 7, 2011

A Little Bit O' Hobby - Working On My Gaming Table


Ever since we bought our own house, I've dreamed of having my own gaming table at home. This was always something I had thought about in the kind of vague "wouldn't it be great if.." type of way, but never really did anything about. But I was really inspired by Dan Nyhil recently when he posted about creating his own home gaming table.

SO I set out to make my own.

Here's what I am working with as a base:

From Gaming Table

The table is 47 inches long and 29 inches wide. So it's a pretty decent foundation for a game board. I liked Dan's basic premise but I decided to change the frame just a bit. For one, I figured that 1x4's would probably be plenty strong enough for my purposes and should weigh, well, half as much. Sure you lose 2 inches in height but that's not that huge of a deal.

I'm not quite done yet but I did finish the basic frame, made sure it was all squared up, etc. I put it away but thought you might want to see my progress so far, so here you go:

From Gaming Table
The idea will be to put two more cross-members on, just outside the width of the table. Then I will put two small slats on the outside edges of the six foot pieces. Then I should have pieces that will hold the gaming surface solidly on the table.

I also bought some masonite to put of over the top. Should be the beginning of a pretty kick ass home gaming setup. I'll have to read through some of Dan's terrain building tips as well once I get the board done, though something tells me I won't be stopping there. Lol.

Anyways, I am hoping that once I get this table done I will be able to get more games in, and in a more laid back environment than I'm used to playing in with beer, and swearing! Ok, well probably not so much on the swearing, my wife is probably stricter than the FLGS owner, but beers for sure!

Any of you guys have home gaming setups? Do you find that you still like to head in to the shop, or is it "once you go basement, you'll never go back?"