Thursday, June 30, 2011

Deathwatch Roleplaying, NOVA plans, etc.

So, to start out I have FINALLY brought together a 40k RPG group. This is starting up this Tuesday and I am PUMPED.

My buddy who has been my DM in the past and is a 40k fluff nut as well as very familiar with the Fantasy Flight systems is going to run the campaign. He has a Black Crusade campaign already ongoing up in Seattle and apparently our Deathwatch team will be interfering with the actions of his other group of players at least some of the time.


I am playing a Dark Angels Librarian. I drug out some bits from a Dark Angel Veteran's sprue, a Grey Knights sprue and a few other odds and ends and came up with one kick-ass model for the game. Very excited.

Also, I have been thinking long and hard about if/how I can attend. I had really gotten to the point where I didn't think I was going to be able to go, even though I really wanted to. My commission army fell through, on account of my being unable to put in the time to paint it. We have a baby due in November (It's a boy!) and I just wasn't sure I could do it.

But you know what, it's the goddamn NOVA. I HAVE to do it.

So I figured out that the cheapest possible way to cross this great nation of ours is by road-trip, so long as you are splitting the cost of the car/gas four ways. All signs are pointing towards cheaper gas towards the end of the summer too so that should help.

So this went from being me flying on a plane alone to me trekking 2800 miles across the country to attend the Grand Tournament.

And you know what, that is fucking badass.

So far we have two people solidly committed. All three of us have financial constraints, but we are determined to make this happen. We have been given the go-ahead by our friendly local gaming store, Olympic Cards and Comics, to be "Team OCC." The store will be helping us a bit, perhaps even hosting a fundraising tournament to help us make the trip.

I am considering other avenues of fundraising as well. I am a decent painter, and my buddy Chappy who is also on the team is a phenomenal one. I am thinking about having some sort of raffle through the site for painted miniatures and other prizes. Feedback on that would be appreciated.

I'm thinking about this like a Sports team trying to attend a tournament, since that's essentially what we are. We will try and find sponsors, do fundraising, and essentially do everything we can to make it work because otherwise we simply won't be able to afford it.

I am fairly certain that our trip will be the longest by car of anyone attending the NOVA. It's pretty hard to come any further without getting up into Northwest Canada. Possible, but difficult.

Anyways, I would love to hear your thoughts on this. Raffles are all the rage these days, but this wouldn't be a charity, per se, it would be a team fundraiser. Does that seem legit to you guys?

Anyways, thoughts appreciated as always.