Friday, August 5, 2011

Sons of the Golden Ka List Revamp - More Razorbacks, Less Cheating

So, Nardy, Gmort and Gx1080 have all "helpfully" pointed out that my Librarian Dreadnoughts cannot actually take Magna-grapples and Extra Armor.

"Shrug." I think that's a strange call for GW to make, personally, but who am I to argue with "the man." My first read was that you gave up the stuff listed under "Wargear" but that you could still take the options (to be fair I'm fairly certain I got that from some early lists that Stelek put out where he had the same interpretation). It's clear as day in the FAQ, so no use arguing with it, amirite?


To that end, I stripped off the extra wargear on the Dreads. Nardy also pointed out that it would be helpful to have a ride for Mephiston to go in as I'm moving up the field. This is an excellent point. My intent was to run him behind the Razorback wall. While this still might work later in the game, it would be nice to have a guaranteed way of getting him 18" up the board on the first turn.

To that end, I threw in a sixth Razorback on the Devastator squad with Dozer Blades and called it good.

Thoughts on the revised list are welcome.

Lord Osiron (Counts as Mephiston)

Furioso, Librarian, Shield of Tzeentch, Disc of Tzeentch
Furioso, Librarian, Shield of Tzeentch, Disc of Tzeentch
Sanguinary Priest x 3, Combimelta x 3, Lightning Claw x 3

Assault Squad, Meltagun, Razorback w/TL Heavy Flamer, Dozer Blade
Assault Squad, Meltagun, Razorback w/TL Heavy Flamer, Dozer Blade
Assault Squad, Meltagun, Razorback w/TL Heavy Flamer, Dozer Blade
Assault Squad, Meltagun, Infernus Pistol, Lightning Claw, Razorback w/TL Heavy Flamer, Dozer Blade
Assault Squad, Meltagun, Infernus Pistol, Lightning Claw, Razorback w/TL Heavy Flamer, Dozer Blade

Land Speeder, Multimelta, Heavy Flamer (This will be a Tomb Kings Chariot pulled by Screamers of Tzeentch and with an enslaved daemon - probably a Flamer- on board to represent the weapons)
Land Speeder, Multimelta, Heavy Flamer

Devastators, Missile Launcher x 3 (Probably going to use Horrors for the actual missiles, with their "minders" which will be the Marines, not sure).
Devastators, Missile Launcher x 3, Razorback w/TL Heavy Flamer, Dozer Blade

2000 Points.

A few other notes that were made:

"I bet what you'll find is that at first, the board will feel restrictive(as you're moving forward into position), but with careful planning, you will be able to lock your opponent into no-win situations while you just mop up their army with your uber-beatsticks."
Yes, I think you are right that it will be a challenge to learn to move that entire mass forward, especially trying to keep all the Razorbacks covered by the Shield from the Dreads after the first turn (when I will have some smoke popping). The Dozer blades will be really helpful I think in allowing me to maneuver freely without being too restricted by terrain.


"You may not have enough long ranged threats(2 immobile units, and two land speeders with range over 12"), and skimmer-type armies may be unwinnable matchups."
Possibly true, but I can cover a lot of the board with melta-threat zones with this army. My instinct is that it would be difficult but not impossible. We'll see.