Saturday, January 7, 2012

Updating my Loganwing

Hi.

Not dead.

Gotten some gaming in (mostly Flames of War). Gotten some painting done. Most of my day today was spent working with my dad on building our new baby room. Staying busy, basically.

But I was inspired to write something up. I feel like I really owe you guys some photos. I have painted a lot since I last put up any photos. But now is not the time.

Anyways.

Stelek's been doing a series on "Rocketwings" (I know Stelek has come up with some good "industry standard" terms in the past, but I have to say... I don't like this phrase).

Anyways, it did get me thinking about my own "foot mobile" Space Wolves army. Given my experience in playing it, and having been playing my Tyranids almost exclusively for a long time (even before I took my long break I was mostly playing my nids, and I've played them several times in the last few weeks again), I think I have a bit better insight into the Puppies and would tweak them a bit if I were to pull them out again for serious play.

Here's where I'm at with them. I lose a Rune Priest, which is somewhat tragic, but it's a well balanced list for all that. I doubt I will ever arrive at one "perfect" list - there are just too many things to try - but this seems to me to be a good one.

Logan

Wolf Scouts x 5, Meltagun
Lone Wolf, Terminator Armor, Storm Shield, Chainfist
Lone Wolf, Terminator Armor, Storm Shield, Chainfist

Wolf Guard x 5, 1 Terminator w/Cyclone Launcher, 2 w/Combimelta, 2 w/BP/CCW
Wolf Guard x 5, 1 Terminator w/Cyclone Launcher, 2 w/Combimelta, 2 w/BP/CCW
Wolf Guard x 5, 1 Terminator w/Cyclone Launcher, 2 w/Combimelta, 2 w/BP/CCW
Wolf Guard x 5, 1 Terminator w/Cyclone Launcher, 2 w/Combimelta, 2 w/BP/CCW
Wolf Guard x 5, 1 Terminator w/Cyclone Launcher, 2 w/Combimelta, 2 w/BP/CCW
Wolf Guard x 4, 3 w/Combimelta, 1 w/Combimelta and Meltabombs, Drop Pod

Thunderwolf Cavalry x 1, Frost Blade
Thunderwolf Cavalry x 1, Frost Blade
Thunderwolf Cavalry x 1, Frost Blade

Longfangs x 4, Multimelta x 4, Pack Leader, Drop Pod
Longfangs x 4, Missile Launcher x 4, Pack Leader
Longfangs x 4, Missile Launcher x 4, Pack Leader

So nothing terribly ground-breaking, but a solid toolbox nonetheless. You can drop in Logan first turn to zap two targets, or the Wolf Guard to zap one (or you can throw the combimelta Wolf Guard into the Longfangs and drop the pod empty if the situation demands it).

Why Frost Blades? Because... I think Wolf Claws look awkward without Stormshields.

Yes, really.

And painting some big frost axes appeals to me. Plus, even though they are 5 points more you can, if you feel so inclined, throw them at a vehicle for 6 Strength 6 whacks at rear armor... which isn't bad really. Once you realize what the Cav are for, it doesn't truly matter if they have Claws or Axes, and in the end the 15 points isn't the difference between having a Rune Priest or not having a Rune Priest so it doesn't really matter.

My wife got me a Kolinski paintbrush and a Windsor Series 7 paintbrush for Christmas. Suffice to say that was enough motivation to get me painting again, and I made some excellent progress on one of my Guardians of the Covenant (counts as Grey Knights) Mortis pattern Dreads tonight while watching the Hangover II (which was good).

I've been thinking that I want to take the Grey Knights in a slightly different direction. A future post will go into more detail, but suffice to say that actually laying the army on the board just gave me a terribly "blah" feeling. I need a bit more variety to get excited about painting something. This isn't some sort of WAAC-guilt (see what I did there?) trip or anything, it's just that eight of the same vehicle is a bit much for me. I don't look down on anyone for anything they choose to play, I just... I can't see myself painting that and enjoying the process.

Anyways, more on that to come. Hint: Coteaz allows for a much more varied army without it going to shit competitively, and still allowing you to have actual Grey Knights. Whoduthunkit?